The Congregational Church of La Jolla was gathered in August 1889 when the first worship service was conducted in the small beach resort of La Jolla, California. The congregation originally consisted of Episcopalians, Presbyterians, and Congregationalists. In 1897 the church was incorporated as the Union Congregational Church – the legal name still used by the church.
After the Presbyterians and Episcopalians formed their own churches, the small Congregational Church constructed its current building at the corner of Cave Street and Ivanhoe Avenue in 1916.
The church has enjoyed remarkable stability in its pastorates, and has generally found itself in the mainstream of what has been traditionally known as the Congregational Way. In 1931, our church entered the union of the Congregational Churches with the Christian Connection, forming the Congregational Christian Churches. Then in 1957, our congregation voted to enter yet another union – this time that of the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical & Reformed Church – known as the United Church of Christ.